YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Mazda is committed to the protection of your personal information (“PI”) and we want you to understand your rights under the law.
Under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide PI in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once per calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer PI for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g. requests made in 2020 will receive information regarding 2019 sharing activities).
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA"), California residents also have the following rights related to PI effective January 1, 2020:
Right to say no to the sale of your PI.
Right to request deletion of your PI, subject to certain PI required or permitted to be retained by law.
Right to request that we disclose to you the following information related to any PI that we have collected, used, disclosed or sold about you in the preceding 12 months:
- Categories of PI,
- Sources from which we collected the PI,
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling PI,
- The categories of third parties to whom we shared such PI, and
- The specific pieces of PI.
Right to equal service and price even if you exercise your privacy rights subject to certain differences permitted by law.
WHAT DO WE COLLECT?
Mazda has collected the following categories of PI in the preceding 12 months:
- Identifying Information. For example, we may collect your name, unique personal identifier, online identifier, mailing address, email address, postal address, and telephone number, including your mobile phone number.
- Demographics. For example, age and gender.
- Service Information. For example, dates and location of service.
- Warranty and Recall History. For example, recall numbers and start date.
- Payment Information. For example, for purchases you make directly with Mazda, we may collect the credit card number and billing address you provide to us.
- Social Media Information. We may collect the information you post on our social media pages. We may also collect your social media profile information.
- Internet and other Network Activity Information. For example, if you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you are using and the pages you visited on our site. We may also look at what sites you came from, or what sites you visit when you leave us. If you use our app, we may look at how often you use the app and how you use the app.
- Location Information. For example, we may collect your information for security purposes in visitor logs if you visit a Mazda location.
- Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our platforms. This may also include an identifier for your device, your IP address, or your mobile operating system.
- Inferences. For example, your preferences and household income.
- Audio and Visual Information. For example, audio recordings for calls with Mazda Customer Service or security videos at Mazda locations.
- Information You Provide. For example, the information you volunteer in connection with surveys, promotions, and marketing events.
WHERE DO WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION FROM?
- Mazda Authorized Dealerships
- Mazda Websites and Mobile Applications
- Mazda Brand Companies
- Mazda Events
- Mazda Financial Services Partners
- Third Party Data Brokers and Service Providers
- Government Regulatory Agencies
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
- Transaction Processing
- Safety, Warranty & Recall
- Providing Emergency Response Services
- Marketing Mazda Vehicles and Services
- Regulatory Compliance
- Improving our Products and Services
- Vehicle Diagnostics and Servicing
- Customer Service
WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION?
- Mazda Brand Companies - We may share your PI with our parent company and other affiliates for global vehicle and customer service improvement.
- Service Providers - Service providers engaged by Mazda solely to perform services on behalf of Mazda, including but not limited to services to you such as customer care services, promotion and event services, and surveys and contests.
- Social Media - We may share information you post on social media channels on Mazda social media channels.
- Third Party Advertisers - We share your information with third party advertisers for the purpose of marketing Mazda vehicles and services to you. These third parties may share your information with other third parties and they may use your information for their own marketing purposes or the marketing purposes of others, including internet-based advertising.
- Third Party Rating Services - We share your PI with third parties that we believe can add value to your experience with Mazda products and services; for example, companies that offer safety ratings or consumer auto reviews and reports.
- Third Party Analytics Providers - We share your PI with third parties who perform analytics for Mazda product improvement and generate aggregated industry reporting but whom do not share your PI with other third parties.
- Entertainment Services - We share your PI with third parties that offer you services like satellite radio in your vehicle.
- Mazda Dealerships - We share your information with dealers for the purpose of warranty, recall, customer service, and marketing Mazda vehicles and services to you.
- Financial Services - We share your information to verify your purchase or lease of a Mazda vehicle.
Categories of PI shared for a business purpose: Identifying Information, Demographics, Vehicle Information, Service Information, Warranty and Recall History, Payment Information, Social Media Information, Internet and other Network Activity Information, Location Information, Device Information, Inferences, Audio and Visual Information, and Information You Provide.
Categories of PI sold:
We do not sell your PI to third parties for money. We do share your PI with certain third parties whom we believe would enhance your experience of Mazda products or services, which may be considered a "sale" under the CCPA:
- Mazda authorized dealers receive the following categories of PI to market Mazda vehicles and services to you: Identifying Information, Demographics, Vehicle Information, Service Information, Warranty and Recall History, Internet and other Network Activity Information, and Information You Provide.
- Third party advertisers receive the following categories of PI and they may use your internet-based activity information for their own marketing purposes or marketing purposes of others: Identifying Information and Internet and other Network Activity Information.
- Third Party Rating Services receive the following categories of PI: Identifying Information if you are a consumer of Mazda products and services and Vehicle Information.
- Third Party Analytics Providers receive the following categories of PI: Identifying Information if you are a consumer of Mazda products and services and Vehicle Information.
- Entertainment Services receive the following categories of PI: Identifying Information and Vehicle Information.
In all cases, Mazda does not knowingly sell PI of minors under 16 years old.
HOW TO SUBMIT REQUESTS
If you would like to request information under California’s Shine the Light law regarding information we have shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing, please send an email message to email@example.com with "CA Shine the Light Request" in the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your provided email address in response. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by this law and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
If you would like to request information under the CCPA, please click here.
To request the deletion of your information under the CCPA, please click here.
To opt-out of sharing to third parties considered a “sale” under the CCPA, please click here: Do Not Sell My Personal Information
If you are primarily interested in controlling ads presented to you please look for our Ad Choices icon on the bottom of our homepage to change your preferences.
You can also call Mazda Customer Service at 1 (844) 931-1678 with any of the above requests.
Authorized Agents can submit requests on behalf of a California resident by submitting a request using the forms linked above or by calling Mazda Customer Service at 1 (844) 931-1678. Authorized Agents will be asked to provide their contact information and information about the California resident requestor. If Mazda has a matching record for the requestor, Mazda will obtain the requestor’s authorization to proceed before fulfilling the request.
Click here for an explanation of our privacy practices.